Saturday, July 3, 2010

Patti and The Beatles have shown me the Way!!!!!!!!!!!

As most of you know, I have recently finished reading the "Twilight" series of books.  I truly enjoyed the books, and I was impressed by the effect on me.  I have often had emotions from reading books.  When I read the last Harry Potter book I was bawling like a baby at the end.  And truly, the best books are the ones that evoke emotion from you.  As true as this is, I was still surprised at the impact these words had on me; these words that were written for a teenage demografic.  I was caught by the "love" that the two main characters, Edward and Bella, felt for each other.  The movies do not do this relationship justice.  The book made me smile...but not a regular smile, a smile that made me have butterfliesinmy stomach.  I felt excited and  giddy and I had to really stop and think about what was going on.  It was the "love."  I was reminded what it felt like to be inlove for the first time.  I could feel all the sides of being a teenager inlove, the excitement, the butterflies, the nerves...feeling stupid when you said he wrong thing.  In the books, Edward and Bella have a very intense relationship that is almost impossible.  But it doesn't matter, their love is way to  strong to let anything get in the way.  The explaination of this love in the book made me realize something so important.  And I mean important.  I think I may have figured out the key to keeping relationships fresh.  We, as couples or maybe just as women, have to remeber that feeling of teenage love.  It was an amazing time..less cares ad worries...and your cares and worries mean less because at 17 you are an unstoppable force in whatever you put your mind to.  Honestly, when was the last time you felt like you were unstoppable?  It has been awhile for me.....unstoppable....I guess I was fairly unstoppable about becoming a stay at home mom, but you get the deal.  Now, lets pretend that we are unstoppable and in total, complete,true love.  Now I feel unstoppable...those two factors in life cause complete confidence.  I feel beautiful and powerful and completely able to accomplish al me goals.  So, The Beatles were right, All you need is love.  Well, maybe...at least women...or at least me.  I am hardly the "normal woman."  Never the less....I have truly decided that strong, passionate love is the remedy to lifes stress.  The bills are there the job is  there but is feels a bit softer if I am going against these life issues with someone who loves me so much.  Definetly as much as Edward and Bella.  The are so connected that they have become more like one entity....one can't live without another.  Now, I can fully live without Brandon.  My life would take a huge dive into upside down land, but it is completely possible.  With that said, the changes that would incure to my life would be on the outside as much as the inside.  In book 2,Edward leaves Bella because he is trying to give her a chance at real life.  When he is out of her life, she feel slike a literal hole has been left in her chest.  She even struggles to breath sometimes.  So, if love can make you feel like you can do anything, be anything and have all the confidence in the world then it appears that lack of love can be crushing.  Damaging,if you will.  And as much as I can remeber how wonderful first time love is; I can also feel the complete flattening of my soul that was the result of break ups.  The negative impacts of even just an argument can have on your day.  It seems like all of these "negative" feelings are still proving my point....All we need is love...All my life I have been trying to figure out consistant happines and I had to do was release all my sticky notes and listen to The Beatles.....

3 comments:

  1. OH man Bridget , there are so many things about this article that are fantastic. Love most certainly is a powerfull thing, and when appreciated for the beauty it can bring to someone's life , well , there are not words.

    Yet there is something we all ( especially us romantics ) must remember . Love at 17 years old , which is first love for many , is the stuff of fairy tails . Even those of us who were lucky enough to have sweethearts at that age can never relive it.

    Not even if you marry that person. Now true , extended love like you speak of with your husband is every bit as wonderful , but not as magical. Infinately more rewarding .....but not as magical.

    It's not a bad thing , people grow as they get older , it's a fact of life , the pressures of life , and our reactions to them shape us in fundamental ways . I think the "love" you speak of transcends the trappings of life. Two different people commited to each other , and focused on the future , making it work. It's a gigantic endeavor but the love makes it worth while.

    Young love on the other hand ........

    If you could bottle it , it would be the cure for cancer . You could sprinkle it on homeless children and save the world. I have always thought that people are never as beautiful as they were at 17. Standing at the threshold of adulthood and the glow of youth are the late teens.

    17 - 19. Think about it . During those years you were young , you were hot , and you had no concept of time what so ever .

    Yesterday never ended so it's still today , Today was all that mattered , and tomorrow will be way better than today.

    It's the only time in your life when the future doesn't scare you . When the world doesn't intimidate you. Because falling in love has taken over your mind. In the best way possible.

    For me I think -----when was the last time I woke up and was thrilled about my upcoming day because I had 40 % chance of running in to the object of my affection ?

    Sadly , it's been since then. Because you can't dismiss the emotions life forces on us. Emotions that did not exist when you were young.

    If you knew young love then count yourself lucky . It's a book that can't be read twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a hard act to follow, but I would just like to say "Thank You" to Twilight! I love the rekindled Bridget, and I am extremly optomistic about the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At 17, it wasn’t so much that love made me feel unstoppable so much as it was that I thought the love he and I shared was infinite and inexhaustible. At 17, I entered into the relationship blindly. I gave my entire heart and soul to him. At 17, I had never been beaten down and broken by love. I never thought about the end of the relationship. I never imagined what would happen if he cheated on my or if I got bored with him, or whatever, because I couldn’t imagine the love ending, not the type of love that he and I shared.

    Now, many years later, I have been burned by love too many times to count. It has left me bitter and jaded. Now, I enter relationships with extreme caution. I never give of myself the same way I did when I was 17. I am always preparing for the end. It’s like a have a prenuptial agreement for my heart.

    But maybe that’s the problem. Maybe as adults we become cynical no matter what. I think it is important not to try and recreate the feelings we had as teenagers, but to remember how we got there. We gave of ourselves so completely, and that may be the only way to achieve such extraordinary feelings of love and affection. Maybe we need to remember that the risk might be worth the reward. Maybe we need to trust in our choices and stop second-guessing everything. Maybe we just need to take a leap of faith…

    Ready… 1… 2… 3… JUMP!

    ReplyDelete